The login screen for all Chromebooks across the district is changing Nov. 28. See the image below for the new process. It will also allow K-3 students with Clever Badges to have an easier Chromebook login experience. More information about Clever Badges will be coming soon. You can download a poster about this new process,but copies will also be ponied out to all buildings during the next couple of weeks and messages will be sent to Admin Connection and All-PPS. Please spread the word as this change will affect all staff and students using Chromebooks.
A couple of Google updates you should know about:
- New Google Calendar for web
Read more about the new changes in Calendar by clicking the link above. If you go to Google Calendar, you can click the button “Use new Calendar” to upgrade. If you don’t like the new Calendar, you can go to Settings (gear icon) and click “Back to classic Calendar” and leave feedback.
- Users can now migrate individual files
You can now move individual files into Team Drives, as long as you have Edit access to those files and the current file owners are members of the destination Team Drive.
Fill out an application to join the PPS TILT Cadre, a professional learning network focused on technology integration and best practices in classroom and leadership environments. The goals of this group include:
- providing forums for networking and ongoing collaborative work
- integrating proven and emerging technology effectively to support standards-based learning and teaching
- modeling and practicing effective instructional strategies
- focusing on exemplary professional learning to improve practice
This first year will focus on the exploration of technology resources in a safe collaborative environment to support students with personalized, equitable, racially and culturally responsive learning. Teachers will be expected to complete hands-on projects, improve their technology skills in a variety of areas and become proficient in using online tools.
If accepted, participation in this group is voluntary, not paid, and you must commit to three meetings: Thursdays, Jan. 18, March 15 and May 17, 2018 from 4-7 pm. Deadline to submit your application is Friday, Nov. 17, 2017 at 5 pm. PDUs are available. Only teachers are eligible to apply. Questions? Contact Melissa Lim, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short link for the application http://bit.do/ppstiltapp
With Drive File Stream, you can:
- Quickly see all your Google Drive files in Finder/Explorer (including Team Drives).
- Browse and organize Google Drive files without downloading all of them to your computer.
- Choose which files or folders you’d like to make available offline.
- Open files in common apps like Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop.
From the Google blog:
As a go-to presentation tool, Google Slides already comes equipped with real-time collaboration features. Starting today, we’re introducing new robust features to help you and your team win that pitch, nail that client presentation and get buy-in for new ideas—all while saving valuable time.
The latest updates in Slides, include new G Suite integrations, partner applications and customization options:
- Capture ideas in Keep, bring them to life in Slides
- Skip manual updates, use linked Slides
- Insert Diagrams, or ready-to-use visualizations. This is great for when you need to effectively share timelines, processes or hierarchies.
- Select Grid view to view all your slides at once as thumbnails. This helps you easily reorder or change formats of multiple slides.
- Tailor presentations to different audiences with the Skip slide feature. You can now choose to skip select slides without fully deleting them when you present from your phone or laptop.
- Try new add-ons, shape up your Slides
- Customize Slides, automate workflows with Apps Script
Check out the PPS Digital Starter Kit. This suggested list of software and online resources is only a starting point for users to accomplish a digital task. However, if users find useful or innovative qualities of other applications, they have the ability to pursue that application to meet their needs.You can see the full list of resources by clicking on the link in the top-right. If you are interested in an allowed and adopted list of software or apps for purchase, please visit the PPS Digital Resources Menu.
Google’s free online training course for educators helps them equip their students with the foundational skills they need to create a safe and positive experience online. By reading, watching videos, and doing different activities in the Digital Citizenship and Safety Course, they can learn how to integrate digital citizenship and safety activities into their school curriculum. There are five interactive units. Read more about the program here.